R. Sargent Shriver left a legacy of service and a dedication to make the world a better place. He promoted human dignity and respect and transformed the way people with intellectual disabilities were treated and perceived by promoting Special Olympics throughout the world. This week, we’re hoping people will honor his memory and celebrate his life by carrying on his incredible legacy.
Here are 5 things YOU can do to pay tribute to Sarge:
- Pass on his legacy and share the YouTube video, Sargent Shriver and Special Olympics, with 10 friends.
- Post a personal tribute to Sarge at http://www.sargentshriver.org/.
- Volunteer for Special Olympics and help spread his message of compassion and service.
- Reach out to someone in your school or community who is isolated and invited them to sit with you at lunch or join you for a cup of coffee. Inclusion and respect can start with just one small and simple action.
- Take the pledge to stop using the word “retard” and promote the acceptance and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities through the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign.